The Cape Town Progressive Jewish Congregation (CTPJC), also known as Temple Israel, is the umbrella body for the three Progressive Jewish Congregations in Wynberg, Green Point and West Coast. It is currently the second biggest Jewish congregation in Cape Town with almost 1,000 families registered as members. Founded in 1944 in Green Point, inspired by our founding rabbinic couple, Rabbi Dr David Sherman (z”l) and Bertha Sherman, the congregation rapidly grew from strength to strength. In 1965, in order to service its congregants in the Southern Suburbs the Wynberg sanctuary became the second Progressive congregation in Cape Town. By the 1970s and 80s the CTPJC was a major force in Jewish Cape Town. In 1998 the West Coast Congregation was formed and a property purchased in 2006. Under the strong leadership of our three locally produced rabbis, professional and lay leadership, the CTPJC is constantly introducing new and innovative programmes to ensure the continued growth and success of the congregation.